MISSION OF THE WEST WARWICK PUBLIC LIBRARY
The mission of the West Warwick Public Library is to promote the reading interests and life-long learning of the citizens of West Warwick and all other users by providing free and open access to a variety of cultural, intellectual, and informational resources, materials, and services.
WEST WARWICK PUBLIC LIBRARY...
...opened on February 20, 1967. But it began in 1958 as the dream of a handful of town individuals. Nearly a decade of campaigning secured one of the first library construction grants in Rhode Island. More funding was provided by the Library Services and Construction Act of 1964.
Modest at first, the building was renovated and expanded upon in 1991 to what we know today. West Warwick was once home to the Crompton Free Library, a one-room building built in 1876. West Warwick Public Library was once called the Robert H. Champlin Memorial Library, named after a local benefactor.
WWPL is serving the community in more ways than ever. When COVID struck, we were one of the first libraries in Rhode Island to adapt, offering curbside pickup, virtual programs and resources, and participation in the Governor's reading challenge. Our staff continues their commitment to facilitating a clean, safe environment for our patrons to return to using the services they enjoy and depend on.